Production Guidelines


No Fees for Use of Public Property

The City of Wilmington, New Hanover County, and the State of North Carolina do not charge fees for the use of public property. This includes government buildings, parks, and schools. These facilities only charge for out-of-pocket expenses incurred during the filming process.

Filming Permits

Permission or a permit for filming is coordinated through the local film permit offices or municipal agencies. Lead time for permits varies from cities within the region. Some areas require only 72-hour notice where others may require up to 30-days notice. A complete schedule and list of guidelines and ordinances can be obtained through the Film Commission or directly through local permit offices or municipal agencies. Special Effects and fire permits must be obtained through the specific city/county fire department.

Requests which involve the alteration or removal of public property, leasing of buildings or parks, stunts, special effects or moving vehicles on public property require a location agreement. Location agreements must be signed by both a representative of the production company and the respective city/county. These agreements basically assure the city/county that the production will accept liability for any damages or injuries resulting from the production company’s actions.

In the City of Wilmington, a film permit is required within the city limits, whether on public or private property, and guidelines must be followed. The City of Wilmington does not charge a permit fee.

Permit Offices

  • Wilmington Film Permit and Media Services Office – (910) 341-4602
  • New Hanover County Public Information – (910) 798-7473
  • Wrightsville Beach Town Manager – (910) 256-7900
  • Burgaw Town Manager – (910) 259-2151
  • Southport City Manager – (910) 457-7988


State Operated Facilities

All requests for the use of state facilities such as buildings, parks, highways, and ferries are coordinated through the North Carolina Film Office. Extensive or unusual use of highways requires 30-days notice to insure availability.

For more information about using state facilities, you may contact the North Carolina Film Office.

Guy Gaster, Director
P (919) 447-7759

North Carolina Film Office
150 Fayetteville Street, Suite 1200
Raleigh, NC  27601

Child Labor Requirements Under the Fair Labor Standards Act N.C. Department of Labor-Wage & Hour Act

95-25.5 Youth Employment

  • No youth under 18 years of age shall be employed by any employer in any occupation without a youth employment certificate unless specifically exempted. The Commissioner of Labor shall prescribe regulations for youth and employers concerning the issuance, maintenance and revocation of certificates. Certificates will be issued by county directors of social services, subject to review by the Department of Labor; provided, the Commissioner may by regulation require that the Department of Labor issue certificates for occupations with unusual or unique characteristics.
  • Youths employed as models, actors, or performers in motion pictures or theatrical productions, or in radio or television products are exempt from all provisions of this section except the certificate requirements of subsection (a).

Film companies should contact the North Carolina Department of Labor at (919) 807-2796 or (800) NC LABOR for copies of the Youth Employment Certificate. Each certificate is to be completed, signed, accompanied by a copy of the youth’s birth certificate, and returned to the address below.

North Carolina Department of Labor
1101 Mail Service Center
Raleigh, NC 27699


Visit our New Support Services & Local Crew Members Directorys.

Support Services Local Crew